Monday, February 25, 2013

Life can be lumpy

We like to have breakfast food for dinner sometimes. Pancakes are so, so yummy! - not to mention, quick and easy on a busy evening! Usually we put applesauce on top of them and then drizzle with pure Ohio maple syrup.  In season we'll drop some blueberries into the batter.  As for meat - crumbled sausage or bacon - my mouth waters as it cooks.  Usually each one of the kids wanders into the kitchen to fawn over the stove (and not too subtly hoping for a little piece off the serving plate).  Then when it's all served, and the syrup rolls into the meat ... not one complaint! Everyone's eating and asking for more!!
You might find it silly that this is considered a good dinner in our home.  I'm not a great cook.  Even after all this time, I often apologize for what's set before my family at the table.  Even such a simple meal as pancakes and bacon can be messed up, as I recently found out.  There are 2 things that I do when making pancakes you aren't supposed to do.  The first thing is, out of habit, I smash the pancake with the turner after I flip it.  Apparently pancakes are much fluffier if you don't do that.  The second thing I do, I like to stir the batter until it's smooth.  But according to the box, the lumps cook out and the batter cooks better when it's stirred less.

Our life has been, well, pretty lumpy lately.  A few nights ago I set out to make our beloved pancake dinner.  Only, we didn't have any meat.  Nor did we have multi-grain mix - it was an off brand, bleached flour box.  We didn't have applesauce; we didn't even have butter.  I used old margarine packs I'd taken home from restaurants over the years.  We didn't even have real maple syrup.  I had to use karo syrup.  I am someone who talks about my life easily, and I don't mean it as a complaint.  It's just how life is; this is what's happening.  But I'm finding, the lumpier things get - and the longer it's left lumpy - the more I feel like complaining.  That night especially, I felt like complaining. I was telling God how frustrated I am that I can't even give my children and husband a decent meal.  In the middle of my pity-party, for some reason, I read the side of the box - the "tips" for making better pancakes.  I read "Leave batter slightly lumpy. The lumps come out in the baking. Less stirring makes for a more tender pancake."

Silence.

The thought struck me ~  I am wishing God would stir the lumps out of the batter and make us smooth.

But maybe God's plan is different - what if I'm not listening.  Maybe it's time to put us on the griddle and let the heat cook out the lumps.

Only, ... I'm afraid of the heat.
And yet,
The longer I'm in the bowl, the stiffer I'm becoming.  I want to be a tender pancake.

"Cast your care upon the Lord and He will sustain you" Psalm 55:22
"Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may lift you up in due time." I Peter 5:6

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is us

This is us
Everyone! Look at the camera.